I would first like to start by saying I am well aware the noodles in the pictures are not ziti, they are penne. I didn’t have ziti…don’t judge. With that said, I LOVE this recipe. It is right up there next to Alfredo in my book. I will always make extra of this recipe and put a pan in the freezer un-baked so I have a quick meal when I don’t feel like cooking. So basically, I will put one in the freezer that I can bake approx. two days later..haha, cooking… necessary evil…but I love food…see the predicament!?!
So let me tell you how I came across this recipe. Before I was married I never cooked so in my quest to become a good housewife I went to the goodwill and bought cookbooks for two bucks a piece. I bought this one called Pasta and Noodles and I was flipping through it one day and this ziti page was well loved. So I tried it and have been hooked ever since!! I can only imagine what other delicious recipes it holds.
While the sauce is simmering, brown your Italian sausage and ground beef. You also boil your noodles until tender.
Next you mix egg, ricotta and parsley.
Then you put it all together. Mix some sauce with your ricotta mixture. Add some noodles.
Add more sauce and ricotta mixture and top with cheese. Repeat until all everything is gone, bake and enjoy.
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1/2 lb ground beef
5 cups meatless tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
8 oz ziti
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbs parsley
8 oz mozzarella cheese – shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Brown Italian sausage and ground beef in a large skillet. Drain the fat drippings. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth and oregano and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Cook ziti al dente according to package directions (basically until they are just about done). Drain.
4. In a small bowl combine, egg, ricotta and parsley.
5. Ladle a large spoonful of sauce into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread a large spoonful of the ricotta mixture into the sauce. Top with half the baked ziti, half the remaining sauce, the remaining ricotta mixture and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers of ziti, sauce and mozzarella.
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool for ten minutes.